Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Madrid

We've been in a Madrid for a week now! We've been spending our time getting acclimated to the time zone and the new culture. Beginning at the airport, it's all been interesting. The post-Brexit Brits having to suffer through the non-EU passport control line were pretty funny. The Metro is easy and clean and quiet (no one blasting videos on their phone, etc). Plus, the rule is masks recommended in the stations and required on the trains. By and large, people are obeying. Since the metro is the most crowded (indoor) place we've gone, it helps my sense of security.

We are staying in a studio apartment which allows us privacy and the ability to come and go as we please (Brian says the kitchen could be bigger though). We are northeast of the city center in a nice little neighborhood called Cuidad Jardin. It's quiet, walkable and has easy access to the metro and buses. There are at least six grocery stores within 500 meters, along with all other kinds of shops and markets. We lack for nothing. Tho seeing signs for Black Friday sales was a jolt: the worst of American consumerism.


Groceries are ridiculously inexpensive, so we are enjoying most of our meals at home. That allows us to have good portion and time controls. Spanish mealtimes are still something of a mystery since we are not dining out much. We've been to one neighborhood restaurant, where we arrived at 7:30 pm on a Saturday night. Dead empty. And portion sizes were surprisingly large. We have since learned the phrase, "media racion" - half portion.

Not another soul in the place.

Our outings have included the El Retiro Park which even in November had blooming roses. 


 

Also a very large gang of peacocks and peahens.

Came around a corner and were surprised by this gentleman.
At this point we'd seen about 40 of this species.
 
Very taken with the trees. Some kind of pine, but haven't figured out the specifics yet.
 
 
Then we walked up the Gran Via where we encountered a rally/protest for Iran. It was very organized by the city it appeared, the police had blocked off the streets where they gathered to march so that there were no people/car conflicts. 

The Gran Via - Lots of People

Yesterday we went to the Prado Museum. I'm sure if I said it aloud to the MadrileƱos I'd be in trouble, but I really don't care for Goya and El Greco. Velasquez I can live with. So we cruised through some of the galleries quickly, and more slowly through others. We have at least 3 more museums we'd like to see while here.

After the Prado we walked to the Plaza del Sol where they are busily putting up the Christmas tree. It appears that the trees get lit Thursday night and the Christmas markets start in full on Friday. I am just telling myself it's because that is one month before Christmas, and nothing to do with American Thanksgiving. I hope I'm right. Either way, we're looking forward to all the lights. They are strung everywhere in our little neighborhood and I am sure it will be pretty when they are on. We will be going to the Plaza Mayor Christmas market in Madrid this week too.

The pace of our travels and expeditions remains slow. We've discovered that a one day in/one day out rhythm seems the best for staving off exhaustion and the other long-Covid symptoms. Dining at home keeps me away from noisy environments which exacerbate my noise processing issues. Our very small sample size of restaurants suggests that background music is not deployed here. A huge bonus.

~Lucy

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are having fun! I haven’t spent time in Madrid in nearly 30 years (!!!) but remember El Retiro fondly. Don’t tell the Spanish, but I agree with you on Goya and El Greco. Too dark for my taste.

    ReplyDelete