Tuesday, January 16, 2024

15 January 2024, Paris

We are ridiculously behind on blogging. Rather than look back at all the missed stories of the past few weeks, I will just relate what we did today. We’ve not really set ourselves a schedule or plan of attack for any given day. We have a list of things we’d like to see which we add to as we stumble across them in the city. Then cross off when we manage to see them. When we wake in the morning, Brian makes his coffee. I enjoy the fabulous fresh squeezed orange juice. We breakfast on pastries, or eggs, or both. I am trying to tag along with the "Yoga with Adriene 30 Day Journey," so I roll out the mat and do a little practice.

 

Today we hopped the bus up to the Musee National des Arts Asiatiques - Guimet. We’ve walked past the building many times and were intrigued. The current exhibit – exposition – is the Tale of the Genji, an 11thCentury piece of classical literature. Written by a woman, too! Having navigated that, we continued on through the Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Cambodian, Siamese, Afghani, and Indian collections. It’s interesting to see the interactions of many religions – Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity – and how the art reflects the interplay. 

 

When we were museumed out, we wandered west into the Passy and enjoyed the neighborhood. It has great views of the Eiffel Tower from all the pocket parks. But then we encountered mecca – La Grande Epicerie Paris. Three stories of the fanciest gourmet store I have ever been in. EVER. Now that I am home looking it up, I see it is owned by LVMH. That….explains a lot. It has everything. Walls of mustard. A cave of wine. A room of teas. What looked like a whole beef wellington in the prepared foods section. I assume the place was a zoo at Christmas. You could spend so much money in there. We managed to rein ourselves in, but it was a challenge.

 

Then we walked home across the Bir Hakeim Bridge, along the Seine, and stopped at a bistro to slake my desire for Normandy cidre. 


~Lucy


Plotting to poach the second level of the library (one of two libraries!) in the museum

Obligatory picture of the tower



Mecca


Wall of Mustard


I'm not sure why New Zealand honey is so expensive, but whew!

Everything in this circle is foie gras and Sauternes 

Even the pot holders are fancy

The Olympics Countdown Clock 















No comments:

Post a Comment