Saturday, April 6, 2024

Musings on the Olympics

The Olympics are coming to Paris this summer, and the city is certainly gearing up. Lots of work being done to upgrade so many systems. Since B and I are systems people (see Sewer Tour post), we've found this fascinating. The changes in the Metro and bus systems make things much easier get around, and announcements are in more languages that I recall previously. Sidewalks are being fixed. Buildings are getting facelifts.

The controversial plans by the Organizing Committee are to use the Seine both for the Opening Ceremonies, putting the athletes on boats to float 6km down the river, and for various swimming events. In order to safely use the river for sporting events, a massive attempt to clean the river water is underway. Again, the sewer tour has left us....skeptical of the outcome of this effort.

I do think it's classy that the countdown clock has the north side for the Olympics, and the south side for the Paralympics.  

Countdown Clock for the Olympics, with Cousin Vanessa

~Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment