Tuesday, January 21, 2025

January

Goodness, January 21 already and somehow I've forgotten to blog for weeks. It's been an odd time. It's quieted down in Paris post-holidays. It's gray and foggy and the Seine is running high and fast. We have no set schedule. We get croissants in the morning, go for walks, read books, visit cultural sites. I have been following a yoga practice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs73lvN0l8A). The days flow by.

We have had visitors. Robert and Eli came from Munich for several days and we greatly enjoyed seeing them. Claire came from Chamonix and stayed. Both visits have been excuses to return to see Notre Dame. The crowds have gone from wildly overwhelming to merely packed, and it is still fascinating to see all the changes. 

There have of course been unusual and exciting times. Saturday we were evacuated from the La Motte-Piquet-Grenelle metro station by very efficient and loud employees, then herded away from the neighborhood by a large number of police and military. Apparently there was a bomb threat to the McDonalds above the station. No idea why. 

Earlier we thought there was a street fair in our neighborhood and went to take a look. It turned out to be a protest for "Frexit". Not something we support, tho we have no vote in the matter. But damn they had the bounciest music!  

We saw a cavalcade of horses in the Bastille neighborhood, then caught up with them again on the Left Bank. They may have been out for Le Pen's funeral, or for the state visit of the President of Angola at Invalides. There was a lot going on that day. Paris is a very happening place.

We're feeling very separate from the news of the US, and that's probably good for our health. I deactivated my Facebook account for the month. I may go back, I may not. I do miss the connection with family and friends, and texts are not sufficient. Or I shall find workarounds. Brian hasn't used Facebook since 2016. We are also reevaluating our media consumption and sources in light of the new world order. Lots of changes to be made. But hoping for health and happiness in the new year, however they come about.

Cousins Robert and Eli

Niece Claire, at Notre Dame.

At the Legion of Honor Museum - free and pretty! 

The French are in for Dry January, with a huge selection of non-alcoholic wines. 

Back to the Louvre, of course.

To pay for the restoration and get with the times, Notre Dame has now installed credit card readers for the prayer candles.  


Our random horsey parade.
(Sound on for the cloppity clop)

~Lucy

1 comment:

  1. I am intrigued by the non-alcoholic wine selection--it sounds (and looks) lovely.

    ReplyDelete