Monday, March 3, 2025

Football

 We have now attended our first ever European football game (aka soccer). Nice vs Montpellier, in the French Ligue 1. Before I let B. book the tickets I demanded to know the team colors. No way was I going to show up to the home team stadium in the opposing colors. Luckily, Nice is red and black, which is very easy to accommodate. 
 
The game was not particularly well attended. It’s spring break here, and carnival, and Montpellier is teetering on relegation. So out of 32k seats, perhaps 12k were filled. Still enough to enjoy the spectacle. And it certainly made the tickets cheap. They had a Carnaval $8 special.
 
I’ve now learned that the French word for goal is “but” and it’s hilarious to hear it chanted in the stadium (even tho it’s pronounced “boot”). Nice won handily 2-0, many dives were taken, much drama occurred on the pitch and off. All told, a fun excursion.

Let's wave some flags!

BUUUUUTTTTTTT!





No comments:

Post a Comment